Jun 21, 2021
Top 10 Tools Roller Operators Should Have on Them
BY AsphaltPro Staff
When the operator climbs into the cab of the roller, you might think he’s got all the equipment he needs. In truth, the worker who cares for his compaction equipment properly has a toolkit with the usual suspects, such as different types of screwdrivers, pliers and rags for wiping equipment. There are some additional tools he needs.
- Temperature gun: to monitor the mat he’s compacting
- Dawn dishwashing liquid: for cleaning filters and spray tips
- Toothbrush: for cleaning micron filters
- Welding tip cleaner: to clean the water nozzles
- Putty knife: to scrape material from surfaces before build-up
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flat head screwdriver
- Vice grip
Routine maintenance of the machine is the operator’s responsibility. Quick, surprise cleaning of spray tips and filters is easier to do if the operator is prepared for the emergency. Minimize downtime by ensuring your roller operators are prepared for the routine and surprise cleaning that takes place in the field.
Sign up for our Toolbox Tips newsletter to receive tips like this to your inbox every week!