Feb 01, 2021
Prep the Paver for Success this Season
BY AsphaltPro Staff
This month, the toolbox tips focus on equipment maintenance. One of the most vital machines for your paving operation is, of course, the paver. By taking extra time this winter to clean and shore up the paver, you invest in the 2021 paving season’s success.
The online training course we offer gives an in-depth look at paver maintenance, including a downloadable checklist for paver operators and mechanics to use, but let’s look at some points of concern right now.
- Check for missing bolts and metal fatigue.
- Maybe you need to repair or add conveyor belt rubber to the front of the hopper and hopper wings to improve holding capacity.
- Adding lights to the hopper wings now gives haul truck drivers clear delineation for backing and dumping later.
- Maybe you need to repair the conveyors in the hopper floor to more efficiently move material.
- Maybe the flow gates need attention.
- Give special attention to the auger chamber, as detailed next.
Take a tape measure to the auger chamber. The augers should be no less than one-eighth of an inch thick. If they’ve gotten thin, go ahead and replace them now rather than waiting for them to hinder an asphalt mat later. If they’re wearing unevenly, it’s time for investigation into the way they rotate and the way material flows to them.
When in doubt, check with the OEM about components and wear.
Get tips like this delivered to your inbox every week! Sign up for our Toolbox Tips newsletter.