Bergkamp Acquisition Preps the Lab for Preservation
BY Bergkamp Inc.
As we returned from CONEXPO-CON/AGG 2020, Bergkamp Inc., of Salina, Kansas, announced its acquisition of Benedict Slurry Seal, based in Dayton, Ohio. Benedict is a manufacturer of laboratory products for the asphalt pavement preservation industry. The acquisition positions Bergkamp to provide slurry seal and micro surfacing laboratory equipment in the United States. Bergkamp will also be taking its laboratory products into the future by making them available through an e-commerce website, which should be available by press time.
Founded by Ben Benedict in 1968, Benedict Slurry Seal gained recognition over the years through its design of innovative tests that measured slurry and micro surfacing performance on the roadway. Many of these tests are still used today. The Benedict Slurry by Bergkamp line of laboratory and testing equipment includes:
- Cohesion Tester for establishing the minimum cure rate of a slurry or micro surfacing mix, allowing determination of the set and return-to-traffic times;
- Loaded Wheel Tester for measurement of excess bitumen and multilayer rutting potential in slurries and micro surfacing;
- Wet Track Abrasion Tester for testing the lower limit of bitumen content and abrasion resistance in slurries and micro surfacing; also for use in chip seal abrasion testing;
- Flexural Tension Tester, which measures the cracking resistance of slurry seal and micro surfacing materials; and
- Schulze-Breuer Test Machine, which is used to measure aggregate for integrity and compatibility in micro surfacing.
According to Scott Bergkamp, president and CEO of the company, “Over the past 50-plus years, Benedict Slurry Seal has become renowned as a global leader in testing equipment for the pavement preservation industry. Bergkamp shares this commitment to our industry, and we are proud to make the Benedict Slurry Seal products available through our company.”
For more information, visit the Bergkamp website.