Around the Globe: December 2018
At the end of October, Austroads published online updated editions of its Guide to Pavement Technology Part 4F: Bituminous Binders and Part 4K: Selection and Design of Sprayed Seals. It included a webinar to provide an overview of the key changes to the guides and the significant advances in the areas of binder specifications and sprayed seal design. Visit https://bit.ly/2zga7s2 for all of Austroads recent publications.
Petroineos Services France SAS, which specialises in the marketing of refined products, and LCY Chemical Corporation, one of the largest producers of SBS (Styrene Butadiene Styrene), are the latest two organisations to join Eurobitume, Brussels. Eurobitume Director General Siobhan McKelvey commented: “I am delighted to welcome Petroineos as a core member of Eurobitume and LCY Chemical Corporation as an associate member.”
Polycor Inc., Quebec City, Canada, announced October 2018 the completion of its merger with Indiana Limestone Company (ILCO), Bloomington, Indiana, shortly after Polycor’s acquisition of four limestone quarries in France. The merger is expected to drive growth through cross-selling, geographic expansion, etc.
The 2019 AEMA-ARRA-ISSA annual meeting takes place Feb. 18-21 in Cancun. Visit any of the associations’ websites for event information and registration.
- Make plans to attend the 46th annual Rocky Mountain Asphalt Conference & Equipment Show Feb. 27-March 1, 2019, at the Crowne Plaza, Denver International Airport. Visit https://RMACES.org for details.
- Assignar, Denver, announced Oct. 23 it had raised $6.2 million USD in Series A funding to drive growth for construction operations management platform to accelerate growth of business and expand presence in the United States. Learn more about them at www.assignar.com.
- Visit sunny Marco Island, Florida, for the 2019 NAPA annual meeting Jan. 20-23. Visit www.AsphaltPavement.org/AnnualMeeting for details. Then drive on over to Miami for the 2nd annual Lanzo Companies Golf Tournament to benefit Construction Angels, Thursday, Jan. 24, in Miami Gardens. Check out https://constructionangels.us/ for this and other fundraising events in 2019.
- The Association of Modified Asphalt Producers will hold its 20th anniversary conference and workshop at the Pier Sixty-Six Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale from Feb. 5-7, 2019. Visit https://modifiedasphalt.org/annual-conference/ for details.
- Make plans to attend the Illinois Bituminous Paving Conference Dec. 11-12 at the iHotel and Conference Center, Champaign. Get more information on speakers, activities and how to register at http://bituminousconference.ict.illinois.edu/about/
- In October, representatives from Caterpillar Inc., Finning Canada and Teck Resources Limited (Teck) gathered in East Peoria, Illinois, to celebrate the milestone of the 40,000th Cat large dozer rolling off the production line. Core to Caterpillar’s global identity, the current Cat large dozer line includes the D9, D10 and D11 models.
The Asphalt Pavement Association of Indiana (APAI) board of directors voted unanimously to install Technical Director Kirsten Pauley, P.E., as the association’s sixth executive director, effective Jan. 1, 2019. She holds a civil engineering degree from Purdue and is a two-time APAI-NAPA scholarship recipient.
The AsphaltPro Magazine staff offers a host of online opportunities for asphalt professionals to learn more tricks of the trade to improve your bottom line. Make sure the website of www.TheAsphaltPro.com is on your regular rotation. Also make sure you follow our facebook page for announcements, news and tips: https://www.facebook.com/AsphaltPro. If you need training options for your paving crew, check out our online course, Asphalt Paving 101 on the Teachable platform: https://training.theasphaltpro.com. Want more? We have a blog on the website that we update each week and a LinkedIn page with additional information. Every Monday morning, we send out a quick-n-usable, free Toolbox Tip via an eBlast. Sign up for that here: https://theasphaltpro.com/upgrade-daily-toolbox-talks/. And sign up for our free Training Solutions eNewsletter while you’re at the website. That goes out once a month.
Komatsu America, based in Rolling Meadows, Illinois, announced Oct. 17 its flagship dealership will build a 189,000-square-foot service center on roughly 30 acres in Elko, Nevada, to be completed in early 2020. You can follow its progress by visiting KEC on its social media platforms.
Save the date for C&D World, the annual meeting of the Construction & Demolition Recycling Association, March 9-12, 2019, at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge.
Two Home Builders Institute (HBI) program graduates and current visited the White House Oct. 31 for a discussion on the Administration’s initiative, Pledge to America’s Workers. In July, President Trump created the National Council for the American Worker to develop a national strategy to train and retain workers needed in many high-demand industries. With input from the public, private, education, labor and not-for-profit sectors, senior administration officials are charged with enhancing employment opportunities for all working-age Americans. Check out the related article on page 58.
The Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM), Milwaukee, announced Oct. 11, Johan “Kip” Eideberg will lead its Washington D.C. office and advocacy activities as interim vice president of government and industry relations, effective Jan. 1, 2019.