Sep 03, 2018
Illinois Bituminous Achievement Awards’ Nomination Deadline Approaches
The 59th Annual Illinois Bituminous Paving Conference, set for Dec. 11-12, 2018, at the iHotel and Conference Center in Champaign, Illinois, is coming up fast.
Coming up even more quickly is the deadline to apply for the Illinois Bituminous Paving Conference Awards, which recognize the significant contribution of individuals and/or organizations to the pavement engineering field.
Last year was the first time the four monetary Bituminous Achievement Awards were presented to student, government, and industry leaders:
- UIUC Ph.D. student Punit Singhvi was awarded the Marshall Thompson Student Research Award for his research on asphalt and pavement preservation techniques as well as his contributions to the development of I-FIT protocol.
- Retired Materials Engineer Robert Bailey received the Illinois Asphalt Pavement Association (IAPA) Research Award for his decades of service to the transportation industry and his creation of “The Bailey Method,” a systematic approach to establish aggregate blends for hot-mix asphalt.
- IDOT Hot-Mix Asphalt Supervisor Allen Fox won the Barry Dempsey Bituminous Technical Contribution of the Year Award for the Quality Control/Quality Assurance training classes he was the first to teach and the wealth of knowledge and experience he developed in HMA during his 50-plus years with the transportation industry.
- National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) Chairman and Gallagher Asphalt Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Dan Gallagher was the recipient of the Imad L. Al-Qadi Leadership in Bituminous Engineering Award. Gallagher was recognized for his leadership efforts that have continually benefited and supported the Illinois flexible pavement industry over the past three decades.
This year, the Conference Award Committee seeks nominations from DOTs, industry, and local agencies for the following four awards, worth $500 each:
- Marshall Thompson Student Research Award, which recognizes an undergraduate or graduate student for his/her contribution to advance knowledge in the bituminous paving field.
- IAPA Bituminous Innovative Research Award, which recognizes a PI, co-PI, or research engineer for innovative research aimed to improve the performance of bituminous materials and/or pavements.
- Barry Dempsey Bituminous Technical Contribution of the Year Award, which recognizes a DOT or industry employee for outstanding technical/engineering contribution to the bituminous paving field.
- Imad Al-Qadi Leadership in Bituminous Engineering Award, which recognizes a DOT or industry employee and/or organization for leadership in the bituminous and flexible pavement field.
The deadline to apply is Monday, September 17, 2018. To nominate an individual, fill out the online form available here.