Dec 20, 2021
Comply with FMCSA Training Provider Registry by February 7, 2022
Under a new federal rule, all providers of entry-level commercial driver’s license (CDL) training must be listed on Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Training Provider Registry (TPR) by February 7, 2022.
To be listed on the TPR, the lead trainer at each location must certify that the location meets these requirements:
- Follows a training curriculum that meets specific criteria for theory and behind-the-wheel training.
- Utilizes facilities, vehicles, and instructors meeting federal requirements.
- Meets federal record-keeping requirements.
- Complies with any applicable state laws and regulations.
To help transportation agencies comply, the Clear Roads pooled fund has developed free, downloadable CDL training materials for both instructor-led classroom and behind-the-wheel training. The resources aim to allow Clear Roads member agencies to provide entry-level CDL training that complies with 81 FR 88732, 84 FR 8029, and 49 CFR 380; and (2) to develop and document a process for member agencies to follow in order for each of their training locations to be added to the FMCSA TPR by February 7, 2022, and to comply with all federal requirements to remain on the TPR.
The resources include the following:
- Complete curriculum to meet the FMCSA requirements for the instructor-led classroom and behind-the-wheel components of the entry-level driver training rule, focusing on obtaining an initial Class B CDL, upgrading from a Class B CDL to a Class A CDL, and obtaining the hazardous materials endorsement for the first time;
- All training materials and resources necessary for states to execute the training program
- Train-the-trainer materials to assist agencies in implementing the training program; and
- Fact sheet and timeline to help agencies ensure that all of their training locations are added to the TPR before February 7, 2022.
Clear Roads is making the training materials available free of charge to any public agency, including local and county highway departments. Please complete the request form to access the materials.