Around the Globe: December 2016
Much Asphalt (Pty) Ltd., South Africa, is celebrating its 50-year anniversary this year and has recently established a branch on the Cape West Coast between Vredenburg and Saldanha. The first asphalt produced in the 90-TPH plant was made for RJM Civils in Langebaan June 28. New Western Cape Regional Manager Dave Bullock will manage the facility.
The Ontario Hot Mix Producers Association (OHMPA) ran its #ONGreatRoads photo contest from May 13 to July 22 this year, receiving 54 entries from diverse regions of its province. Five winners each received a $100 gas card and new appreciation for asphalt pavement. OHMPA Executive Director Vince Aurilio said, “Our goal is to promote excellence in asphalt pavement and through this contest we get to see that excellence through the public’s eyes.” Source: www.ohmpa.org
- Shanghai hosted the Industrial Automation Show (IAS), a themed show under the China International Industry Fair (CIIF), Nov. 1 through 5, at the National Exhibition and Convention Center. IAS has become the biggest industrial automation show in Asia in terms of scale and influence, and is considered an industry barometer for China’s automation market. Source: IAS
- China’s bitumen export jumped to 50,000 tons in August. South Korea and China were major exporters of bitumen to Japan for the period of January to August of this year. Source: Bitumart’s Petrosil.com
Bitumart’s Petrosil.com reports that Germany’s bitumen export increased by 30 percent year over year for 2016 as of late October. The total to that date was 880,000 tons exported.
November 2016 was the launch of the first Incident Management Month by SharePoint EHS software providers Pro-Sapien, Glasgow, United Kingdom. The campaign highlighted the importance of improving workplace safety by promoting a culture of thorough incident management and reporting around the globe.
Your AsphaltPro magazine staff members are headquartered in Missouri, but share news from all over North America. We welcome you to join us on the web at www.TheAsphaltPro.com. Like us at https://www.facebook.com/AsphaltPro. Ask our editor email@example.com how to join the Sharing Asphalt Group on facebook to help promote your asphalt business.
- Auburn University and the Alabama DOT join for the 60th annual highway conference Feb. 15 though 16 at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa in Montgomery, Alabama.
- Get your registration in early for the Alabama Asphalt Pavement Association (AAPA) 27th annual asphalt paving conference, March 22 through 23, 2017, at the Birmingham Marriott, Birmingham, Alabama.
- • Brandon Milar, P.E., began his role as director of technical services for the California Asphalt Pavement Association Oct. 17.
- • Plan ahead to attend the Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists annual meeting March 19 through 22, 2017, in Newport Beach, California.
Have you signed up to attend the Rocky Mountain Asphalt Conference and Equipment Show? The 44th annual meeting and education opportunity taking place at the Crowne Plaza Denver International Hotel Feb. 22 through 24, 2017. Visit www.rmaces.org for registration information.
Orlando will host the 62nd annual meeting of the National Asphalt Pavement Association (NAPA) Jan. 29 through Feb. 1, 2017. Visit http://www.asphaltpavement.org/annualmeeting for registration and hotel information.
Doug Oberhelman, chairman and CEO of Caterpillar Inc., Peoria, Illinois, is the sole recipient of the American Road & Transportation Builders Association’s (ARTBA) highest honor this year. The ARTBA Award was presented to Oberhelman Oct. 6 during the association’s national convention in Tucson.
Demolition 2017, which is the annual meeting of the National Demolition Association, takes place Jan. 29 through 31, at The Mirage in Las Vegas. Get information at www.demolitionassociation.com/convention.
Midwest Equipment, Columbus, Ohio, has acquired Westpro Power Systems, a manufacturer of Westinghouse portable power products. Through the acquisition, MWE will add the Westinghouse portable generators to its distribution channels to rental and equipment dealerships.
Hauck Manufacturing Company, Lebanon, Pennsylvania, is now part of Honeywell International’s Honeywell Process Solutions business as Honeywell Thermal Solutions. The complete line of products is still available from Honeywell including Hauck StarJet burners, Hauck MegaStar Burners, Hauck NovaStar burners and Hauck TBA blowers and control systems. Manufacturing is at Honeywell’s Rockford, Illinois, and Muncie, Indiana, facilities. Sales and support remains in Lebanon, Pennsylvania. Contact Honeywell Thermal Solutions at (815) 877-3031 and ask for asphalt.
Would you like to list pavement preservation certification on your portfolio? Starting in 2017, the ISSA Slurry System Workshop will offer pavement preservation certification exams. The first is available Friday, Jan. 27 at the Texas Station Hotel beginning at 9 a.m. For information about certification, call the National Center for Pavement Preservation at (517) 432-8220.