Here are some HMA plant safety tips from the researchers and engineers at Astec Industries to help your safety director with his next toolbox talk.
- Know what to do in an emergency. Make sure employees know exit routes and a predetermined assembly area in the event of an evacuation.
- Follow established rules, procedures and safety signs. Enforce rules through progressive discipline.
- Wear the appropriate PPE for the job/task.
- Handle hazardous material according to instructions. Read the label and MSDS for the substance you are working with. Know the hazards, PPE, safe handling procedures and emergency procedures.
- Operate equipment correctly. Only use equipment for which you have been trained and authorized use.
- Avoid taking safety risks. Never take shortcuts, ignore near misses or engage in horseplay.
- Remove, repair or report safety hazards right away.
- Report accidents promptly.
- Contribute to a safe work zone. Individual work areas should be kept neat and clean, and everyone should help keep common areas free from clutter and other housekeeping hazards.
- Take training seriously. Safety training will be an important and ongoing process.